Thursday, September 02, 2004

Normality pursues to overtake me!

Normality pursues to overtake me!

That is what I was thinking about on my way to work at the cafe today. It is amazing that no matter what kind of amazing life situation you are in (living in a foreign country, foreign culture, being part of a new ministry, helping to open a cafe) things tend to go towards patterns and same old same old. Anyways, that was how I was feeling this morning when I went to work.

After taking our Bulletin (permit to have electricity) to the electric company and hoping that they will finally come and begin charging us for electricity (a minor detail that they have neglected the past five months) I arrived at the cafe. I was working the rover shift this morning with Hannah when they showed up. Hannah was trying to decipher what kind of drink they wanted and when they said something about the dishwasher I knew that these were the guys that we have been trying to get to come and fix our dishwasher for several months. The frequency and intensity of our phone calls to them have increased with time.

So a large appliance fixer man squeezed his way behind the already to narrow and crowded bar to begin his artistry on the dishwasher. He informed me that it need to be raised and have the filter cleared out and several other things that I understood before he arrived, but my experience in fixing industrial dishwashers has thus far in my life been limited. He turned his back to us and got to work by assuming the appliance fixer man squatting position. Hannah and I both adverted our eyes to avoid having anything indelibly imprinted on our minds. Hannah summed up my feelings with the utterance of just one word. "Typical", she said.

Also with large appliance fixer man was appliance fixer man mini me. His job consisted of running back and forth to the truck that was parked nearby and bringing back various tools and parts. When he was not doing that he was supposed to stand behind the bar with appliance fixer man and look busy. I noticed that he too was care to advert his eyes.

Things became more interesting as our clients came and ordered coffees. Hannah said something along the lines of please don't send me behind the bar where the view of appliance fixer man is uninhibited by the bar. So, leaning over him to reach the cafeteria I continued to dish out the morning cups of java carefully stepping over tool boxes, wet mops and be very careful to avoid appliance fixer man.

When after an hour of mayhem as we shuffled behind the bar and dodged suppliers and appliance fixer man, Hannah looked at me and said, "Please don't complain about normality, (At least not when I have to work with you.)"



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Life is Ministry

Fight Spam! Click Here!